Breaking News for LinkedIn Users
Showcase Your Cover Story in Video
Soon LinkedIn will be offering members the ability to add a 20-second cover video introduction to their profiles to share their personal stories and attract clients, customers and recruiters. Some of you may have the feature which is only accessible on mobile devices.
You actually create a video on your phone and profile visitors will see an orange circle around your picture, which when clicked will begin to play your video as a 3-second preview with a link to see the rest of the video. Wow.
A New Clubhouse
What else is coming? In a prior blog post I recommended that Microsoft buy Clubhouse. They actually listened but decided to create their own unique audio experience. It has not been rolled out yet.
A LinkedIn spokesperson confirmed that the platform is considering ways to incorporate audio with live events and group discussions. Imagine having audio debates and conversations on a business networking platform. I wonder if LinkedIn will get it right. Their track record is a little iffy. What do you think?
Now there will be so many more ways to showcase your expertise. Pretty soon thought-leaders will need to hire full time staffs to manage their audio online presence with moderation, messaging and funnel management.
A New Creator Mode
LinkedIn is also rolling out a new set of features for Creators. You can turn on the new Creator Mode at https://members.linkedin.com/linkedin-creators-home.
Once you turn on Creator Mode the following will occur:
- The Connect button on your profile will change to Follow.
- The number of followers you have will be displayed in your profile.
- Your profile should reorder to show your Featured and Activity sections first.
- You can highlight the #hashtag topics you cover as a creator.
- Your Activity section will showcase more of your recent content and will no longer show the likes and comments you add to your connections’ content.
- The purpose is to highlight more actual valuable content and show engagement from users which is very valuable for creators.
- Caveat: You will not be able to see this feature on profiles until it is rolled out to you. You will also lose this feature if you switch your Followers setting from Everyone to Your Connections or if you disable the Follow feature on your profile.
LinkedIn Live Video Will Now Play in Your Background Image
LinkedIn Live producers will now have their live-streams play as their background image when they are streaming live. This will definitely encourage additional engagement for creators that have LinkedIn Live broadcast privileges.
ProTip: Remember everyone can record a 10-second mini-introduction using the Audio Recording feature found in the edit mode. It is designed to help profile visitors learn how to pronounce your name and can include your unique selling proposition. You have to record this on your mobile phone.